A student who has not registered for at least 1 credit or full-time dissertation study during a 12-month period will be transferred automatically to inactive status and must file an application for readmission to graduate study (including fee) before being permitted to register again. While on inactive status, a student is not eligible to use University facilities and should not expect to receive counseling by the faculty or active supervision by the student's advisor and committee.

Readmission is not automatic nor does it necessarily reinstate the student to the academic status enjoyed prior to becoming inactive. When readmitted, the student must be prepared to demonstrate proper preparation to meet all current admission and degree requirements.