Pitt | Swanson Engineering
How To Go Abroad

Current Swanson School of Engineering students should apply for most international opportunities through  Pitt’s Study Abroad System . Please review the following steps carefully before you apply to any international program:

  1. Apply for a new U.S. passport or renewal passport if required. 
    : Most countries will not allow you to enter unless your passport is valid for a period of at least six months after your scheduled date of return. This is very important. If your passport is set to expire within this time period (or is even close), you should plan on renewing your passport.
  2. Discuss your plans with an advisor in the Office of Engineering International Programs
  3. Choose an appropriate program that fits your needs
  4. Apply to the program - first through  Pitt’s Study Abroad system , and if any further instructions are provided to complete the application, follow them carefully!
  5. Obtain a written acceptance into the program; follow any instructions provided
  6. Sign up for a Pitt Study Abroad Program Agreement meeting.  Directions will be provided to you by your program manager. 
  7. Complete the Pitt Study Abroad Program Agreement as well as the SSOE Course Approval form- obtain approvals and signature on the SSOE Course Approval form from your academic advisor for your plan of study. Sample course approval forms can be viewed at these links.
    1. Sample SEMESTER program course approval form
    2. Sample SHORT -TERM - Panther program course approval form 
    3. Sample CHANGE form for semester program
    4. Sample SHORT-TERM - NON-Panther program course approval form
  8. Return your completed Pitt Study Abroad Program Agreement to the Office of Engineering International Programs prior to any stated deadlines
  9. Go abroad!
  10. Stay in contact with the Office of Engineering International Programs while overseas
  11. Return as a global engineer, ready to put your international experience to use!