Dr. Neetu Kushwah received her PhD from Department of Neurobiology, Defense Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS, DRDO), New Delhi, India in June 2019. During her doctoral research she worked on hypoxia induced cognitive dysfunction and neurodegeneration using in vivo and in vitro approaches.
After her PhD, She joined CSIR-Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB) ), New Delhi, India as a project fellow. In IGIB, she studied pathophysiology of neurodegenerative disorders by developing in vitro cellular assays and RNA mediated toxicity using RNA-FISH in human iPSC derived neurons.
Dr. Neetu is now a postdoctoral research fellow in the Neural Tissue Engineering (NTE) with Dr. Tracy Cui, professor of Bioengineering, in the NTE Lab. Neetu’s research focuses on developing in vitro assays to examine the effect of microelectrode stimulation on neuronal, glia and endothelial cells. Her research also involves conducting molecular and biochemical analysis to understand neuroinflammatory tissue responses associated with neural electrode implantation.
- Neetu Kushwah, Amit Prabhakar, Dipti Prasad, K. Ravi, Shashi Bala Singh and Nilofar Khan "Ebselen a Seleno-organic Molecule Inhibits Alteration in the Biological Responses in Hypoxic Human Alveolar Lung Epithelial Cells". British Microbiology Research Journal. 8(6): 644-654, 2015, Article no.BMRJ.2015.158
- Nilofar Khan, Neetu Kushwah and Dipti Prasad. "The Aquaporins: Regulator for Brain Pathophysiology".International Neuropsychiatric Disease Journal 4 (1): 29-37, 2015; Article no.INDJ.2015.023.
- Neetu Kushwah, Vishal Jain, Satayanarayan Deep, Dipti Prasad, Shashi Bala Singh, Nilofar Khan. Neuroprotective role of intermittent hypobaric hypoxia in Unpredictable Chronic Mild Stress induced depression in rats. PLoS One. 2016 Feb 22; 11(2):e0149309. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0149309.
- A. Dheer, V. Jain, N. Kushwah, R. Kumar, D. Prasad, S.B. Singh. Temporal and spatial changes in glial cells during chronic hypobaric hypoxia: Role in neurodegeneration. DOI: DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2018.04.026.
- Rahul Kumar, Vishal Jain, Neetu Kushwah, Aastha Dheer, Kamla Prasad Mishra, Dipti Prasad, Shashi Bala Singh. Role of DNA Methylation in Hypobaric Hypoxia-Induced Neurodegeneration and Spatial Memory Impairment. Ann Neurosci 2018; 25:191–200. DOI: 10.1159/000490368.
- Neetu Kushwah, Vishal Jain, Aastha Dheer, Rahul Kumar, Dipti Prasad, Nilofar Khan. Hypobaric Hypoxia induced learning and memory impairment: Elucidating the role of Small Conductance Ca2+ activated K+ channels. Neuroscience. 2018 Jul 23. pii: S0306-4522(18)30501-3 . DOI:10.1016/j.neuroscience.2018.07.026.
- Kushwah N, Jain V, Yadav D. Osmolytes: A Possible Therapeutic Molecule for Ameliorating the Neurodegeneration Caused by Protein Misfolding and Aggregation. Biomolecules. 2020 Jan 13;10(1). pii: E132. DOI: 10.3390/biom10010132.
- Neetu Kushwah, Vishal Jain, Manisha Kadam , Rahul Kumar, Aastha Dheer, Dipti Prasad, Bhuvnesh Kumar, Nilofar Khan.Ginkgo biloba prevents hypobaric hypoxia-induced cognitive deficit through SK channel inhibition: the role of ERK/CaMKII/CREB signaling. Under Review.