Chemical Engineering:

For admission to full graduate status, students should have an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering with high academic standing. Degree options include MS (professional or thesis) and PhD. PhD and thesis Master’s degrees both include a significant research component, whereas the professional MS does not.

PhD and thesis MS students applying for entry in the Fall semester are generally considered for admissions without prior commitment of entry into a research group. However, students who are interested in working with a specific faculty member are encouraged to contact that professor to discuss their interests prior to completing an application.

PhD and thesis MS students entering in the spring or summer semesters are usually placed immediately into a research group. In this case, applicants must contact prospective faculty mentors prior to completing and submitting an application.


Non-traditional Students:

Students from chemistry or from another engineering discipline who desire to pursue a graduate degree in chemical engineering must have a high grade point average and prepare for graduate course work by taking selected undergraduate courses in chemical engineering. See MS and PhD Requirements for Students with Non-chemical Engineering BS Degree. Each case for admission will be evaluated individually, and applications are encouraged.


Letters of Reference:

Applicants must have their reference letters submitted electronically as part of the on-line admissions application process. Three letters of reference are required for applications to graduate programs in the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering.



Please visit the page for application information and further details. Contact the SSOE Graduate Program office with any questions.