The department offers programs leading to the degrees of Master of Science (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). To apply to Graduate School at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering:
1. TO APPLY:
Contact the SSOE Graduate Program office with any questions.
2. LETTERS OF REFERENCE: Applicants must have their reference letters submitted electronically as part of the on-line admissions application process.
3. TRANSCRIPTS: Applicants are required to upload academic records from each academic institution (undergraduate and/or graduate) attended. Official, original academic credentials that are issued in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation. These will be considered unofficial copies.
4. GRE SCORES:
The GRE is now optional. If an applicant has taken the GRE and would like to include their scores to supplement their application, they may upload them in the documents section under optional documents; HOWEVER, the GRE exam is not required in order to be considered for admission. The GRE waiver applies to SSoE degrees and programs only (PhD, MS, certificate); dual degree programs with other Schools at Pitt may require another exam (e.g., GMAT, MCAT, etc.) and students should check with the degree-granting school regarding exam requirements. If you elect to send your scores, they must be requested and sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) using the code of 2927 for the University of Pittsburgh in order to be considered as part of your application.
While the GRE is traditionally managed on an individual department level, due to the implications of COVID-19, the GRE is optional for all departments and all programs.
If you are planning to submit this optional exam, the information to do so is as follows:
Please refer to the following website for further information on the GRE and registration forms: http://www.ets.org/gre.
UPDATE OCTOBER 2021: Due to ongoing public health concerns, ETS is temporarily offering a GRE General Test at home option in select areas. The test is taken on your home computer and is monitored by a human proctor virtually. For more information, including which countries currently offer the at home option, please visit this page:
5. TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo scores (Required for international applicants):
Internationals applicants must submit an English language proficiency exam score with their application, except for those who have recently received a degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States OR any other English-speaking country. Visit this site for more information on the tests that are accepted and minimum scores.
6. TUITION AND FEES: Learn more about tuition and fees associated with a graduate education at the Swanson School of Engineering: https://www.tuition.pitt.edu/
7. FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: Find out how scholarships, fellowships, traineeships, and grants can help pay for education excellence:
8. APPLICATION DEADLINES:
Fall Term – February 1 (funding); April 1 (international applicants); July 1 (domestic applicants)
Spring Term – October 15 (international applicants); November 15 (domestic applicants)
Summer Term – February 15 (international applicants); April 1 (domestic applicants)