Date: Thursday, October 10 – 12, 2019.
Location: University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering
PITT Future Faculty Discovery Development Program (PITT-FFDDP) is an expense-paid two-day program for doctoral and post-doctoral scholars from traditionally underrepresented minority (URM) in their STEM research fields, and who are interested in an academic career. The program is designed to identify the scholars toward the end of their doctorate or post-doctorate programs but early in their beginning search for faculty career in the STEM field.
- Better understanding of academic career and the professoriate through structured presentations, discussions/dialogues with department heads, deans, and early career faculty members;
- Better understanding of the research areas and opportunities at SSoE through guided tours to research facilities, Research Labs/Centers, and departments.
- Greater awareness of how to navigate the cultures of research, teaching, learning and service and support opportunities, and how these elements define academic culture relative to tenure and promotion;
- Greater understanding of employment packages and negotiation, grantsmanship and collaborations in research intensive institutions;
- Early exploration and discussion of career prospects with department heads.
- Be a PhD or post-doctoral scholar within 1-2 years of seeking a faculty position;
- Demonstrate academic career and research interests that are aligned in one or more of SSoE departments and programs;
- Demonstrate how their inclusion will contribution to SSoE diversity and inclusive excellence;
- Be a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
Please fill out and submit an online application using the link below. You will be required to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter that includes your statement of diversity
- Teaching statement
- Research statement
Application Deadline: August 20, 2019.
All costs are covered by the program for accepted applicants.
Please contact the Engineering Office of Diversity for additional information at 412-624-2118 or email Sussan Olaore at email@example.com