Join With Us In Celebrating Our 2020 Graduating Class!
The Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science (MEMS) is the largest in the Swanson School of Engineering in terms of students and faculty. All of our programs are ABET-accredited. The Department's core strengths include:
- Advanced Manufacturing and Design
- Materials for Extreme Conditions
- Soft Matter Biomechanics
- Computational and Data-Enabled Engineering
- Cyber-Physical Systems and Security
- Nuclear and other Sustainable Energies
- Quantitative and In Situ Materials Characterization
MEMS faculty are not only world-renowned academicians, but accessible teachers who seek to inspire and encourage their students to succeed.
The Department also has access to more than 20 laboratory facilities that enhance the learning process through first-rate technology and hands-on experience.
Each year, the Department graduates approximately 90 mechanical and materials science engineers, with nearly 100% placed in excellent careers with industry and research facilities around the globe.