Healthy, High-Performance Buildings
The built environment has an undeniable impact on the environment, economy, and society. Buildings are recognized as a technological sector where large improvements in sustainability-related categories are achievable. This research thrust focuses on improving system-level environmental
performance of buildings and communities, while developing a deeper understanding of indoor environmental quality, quality of life, and energy use.
- Energy conversation districts
- Life cycle assessment
- Sustainable products
- Energy efficiency and renewable technologies
- Indoor environmental quality
- Resilient communities and network analysis
Lead: Melissa Bilec
Green Chemistry and Materials
This research thrust examines the use of molecular design to solve problems in green product formulation and the design of materials. Benign by design strategies and frameworks are developed to avoid unintended consequences and improve quality of life.
- Benign by design
- Reducing embedded energy & water
- Green product assessment
- Emerging technology development and evaluation
Lead: Eric Beckman
Water and energy are interconnected; it takes energy to clean water, and water is often used for electricity generation. This research area addresses the connected energy and water global grand challenges through novel technologies and design.
- Sustainable water technologies and design
- Food-energy-water connections
- Water quality
Lead: David Sanchez