To apply to Graduate School at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering:
1. TO APPLY:
2. LETTERS OF REFERENCE: Applicants must submit a minimum of 2 reference letters electronically as part of the on-line admissions application process.
3. TRANSCRIPTS: Applicants are required to upload academic records from each academic institution (undergraduate and/or graduate) attended. Official, original academic credentials that are issued in a language other than English
must be accompanied by a certified English translation. These will be considered unofficial copies.
4. GRE SCORES: GRE scores are required and are useful in combination with all the other materials submitted. Official GRE test scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Using the institution code
of 2927 for the University of Pittsburgh is sufficient. Please refer to the following web site for further information on the GRE and registration forms:
5. TOEFL or IELTS scores (Required for international applicants): The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for all applicants whose native language is not English, except for those who have recently received
a degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or any other English speaking country. It is the policy of the University of Pittsburgh to admit only those students with a TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper-based test), 213 (computer-based test) or 80 (internet-based). Please refer to the following web site for further information on the TOEFL and registration forms:
http://www.ets.org/toefl. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores must be sent directly from IELTS to your admitting department. It is the policy of the University of Pittsburgh to admit only those students with an IELTS score of at least 6.5.
You can upload copies of your score reports (if available) when submitting your online application. This uploaded version is not considered “official” and will be used for preliminary review until your official scores are received from ETS or
6. TUITION AND FEES: Learn more about tuition and fees associated with a graduate education at the Swanson School of Engineering:
7. FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: Find out how scholarships, fellowships, traineeships, and grants can help pay for education excellence:
8. APPLICATION DEADLINES: Fall Term – March 1 (or February 1 for teaching assistantships); Spring Term – July 1; Summer Term – April 1 (US students only).