14) Dr. Debski along with Drs. Vande Geest and Dr. Davidson at the AIMBE New Fellows Induction Ceremony in Washington, D.C
13) Dr. Ryosuke Kuroda visits the ORL
10) PhD completions- Congratulations to Dr. R Matthew Miller PhD and Dr. Jonathan Adam Gustafson PhD
12) The Third Annual ORL Symposium was held on July 23, 2017, where the summer undergraduate students presented their work. The summer picnic was held afterwards in Schenley Park. The students work can be found here: 2017 Summer Abstract Booklet
Ryan Black, Gerald Ferrer, Stephen Canton, John Fowler, Volker Musahl, Richard Debski - Comparison of Screw Quantity and Placement of Metacarpal Fracture Fixation: A Biomechanical Study
Catherine Smith, Gerald Ferrer, Ben Rothrauff, Volker Musahl, Richard Debski - Biomaterial Repair of the Rat Supraspinatus Tendon Enthesis
Benjamin Roadarmel, Tetsuya Takenaga, Masahito Yoshida, Calvin Chan, Volker Musahl, Albert Lin, Richard Debski - Orientation of Non-Recoverable Strain in the Glenohumeral Capsule Does Not Change Following Multiple Dislocation
James Gorenflo, Volker Musahl, John Fowler, AJ Blackburn, Robert Kaufmann, Richard Debski - Design of an Elbow Testing Apparatus to Simulate Flexion in Varying Degrees of Shoulder Abduction
Joseph Greaves, Calvin Chan, Volker Musahl, Richard Debski - Development of a MATLAB Interface Using an Electromagnetic Tracking System for the Biomechanical Analysis of Tibiofemoral Kinematics
9) Dr. Freddie H Fu Visiting Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery Roland Becker, MD visits the ORL November 2015
8) Second ORL Summer Picnic and Symposium: The second annual ORL Symposium was held on August 5th, 2015, where the summer undergraduate students presented their work. The summer picnic was held directly after at Schenley Park.
Chris Como and Trenton Gilstrap - Restoration of STAR-IV Functionality
Audra Sawyer - Assessing the Learning Curve and Repeatability of PIVOT Software
Laura Bechard - Design of Customized Lower Leg Specimen Fixtures
Joe Takahashi - Using DMAS7 Camera System to Track Fibula Motion
Samik Patel - Optimal Screw for a Proximal Pole Scaphoid Fracture Based on Compression Forces
Stephanie Sexton - Surface Strain in the Anterolateral Capsule of the Knee
7) Dr. Musahl and members of the ORL visit Cleveland Clinic - 7/22/2015
6) Dr. Musahl featured in UPMC Medical Mondays
5) International PIVOT Group visits ORL - 10/31/2014
4) First ORL Summer Picnic and Symposium: The first summer picnic for members of the ORL was held on July 17th, 2014. Summer undergraduate students presented their work at the first Orthopaedic Robotics Laboratory Undergraduate Research
Symposium on July 22nd, 2014.
Kyle Berkow; J. Gustafson; Dr. R. Debski; Dr. S. Farrokhi - Development and Validation of Finite Element Models for Knee Cadavers
Gerald Ferrer; M. Miller; Dr. R. Debski; Dr. V. Musahl - Measuring Surface Strain Using the DMAS7 Motion Tracking System on Ligaments and Tendons
Yaniv Michaeli; Dr. R Debski - Design and Assemble a Laser System for Determining Cross-Sectional Area of Soft Tissues
Stephanie Rigot; Dr. J. Fowler; Dr. R. Debski - Biomechanical Analysis of Internal Fixation Methods for DIP Arthrodesis
Ryan Moss; Dr. K. Bell - Computer Simulation of Multi-Segment Cervical Spine to Mimic In-Vivo Kinematics
Benjamin Engel; Dr. F. Arilla; Dr. R. Debksi; Dr. V. Musahl - Correlating PIVOT Software with EM System While Quantifying the Pivot Shift
3) ORL Grand Opening: The Grand Opening of the Orthopaedic Robotics Laboratory was held on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 in the Center for Biotechnology and Bioengineering at the University of Pittsburgh. Over 40distinguished guests attended
the ribbon cutting ceremony. Dr. Fu and Dr. Borovetz “officially” opened the lab by cutting the ribbon. The guests then enjoyed a tour that was highlighted by presentations on the new research capabilities and current research projects given by the
research fellows and students. Highlights included the new robotic technology, patellar fracture project,materials testing of rotator cuff tear propagation, development of an iPad app to assess ACL function, and prevention of anterior knee pain.
2) New Robot: On September 11, 2013, the centerpiece of the new lab arrived from Japan – a custom designed robot to study the biomechanics of diarthrodial joints – and took three days to install.
1) First Lab Meeting: The first lab/research meeting of the Orthopaedic Robotics Laboratory occurred on May 24, 2013 in the third floor conference room in the Center for Bioengineering after the renovations of the lab space had been completed
and the initial pieces of lab equipment moved into the space. Research fellows from Japan, Brazil, Germany, and Iran as well as Bioengineering graduate and undergraduate students participated in the meeting. The two major research projects in the
lab (development of an iPad App to assess ACL function; physical therapy for rotator cuff injuries) were discussed.
6) Gerald Ferrer wins the Department of Bioengineering Outstanding TA Award for 2016-17
5) PIVOT software wins Pitt Innovation Challenge (PInCh) Award - University of Pittsburgh, November 2015
4) Gerald Ferrer wins National Science Foundation - Graduate Research Fellowship (2015)
3) Debski - Membership Grade: Fellow - American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2012
2) Musahl -2012 KSSTA best paper award, third place, ESSKA 15th congress, Geneva,Switzerland
1) Musahl -2013 ISAKOS Scientific award, second place, ISAKOS 9th biannual congress, Toronto, Canada