PhD in Mechanical
Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2015
M.S. in Mechanical and
Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 2005
B.S. in Mechanical and
Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 2003
phenomena of heat, charge, and mass – simulation and experimental
characterization of nanoscale transport; thermal transport in novel materials
including 2D layered materials, phase change materials, ferroelectric
materials, and soft matters; transport phenomena at interface; multi-scale
simulation from nano to macroscale
• Solid-state energy
conversion – thermoelectrics; electrochemistry; electrocalorics
HONORS AND AWARDS
• Poster award in Micro/Nano poster forum of ASME
IMECE, San Diego, CA 2013
• Samsung scholarship ($50,000/year for tuition and
• Graduated with honors (Magna Cum Laude) from KAIST 2003
• Korean government scholarship for B.S. and M.S.
program (full tuition and boarding) 1999-2005
15) S. Lee, D. Broido, K. Esfarjani, and G. Chen, Hydrodynmic phonon transport
in suspended graphene. Nature
Communications, 6:6290 (2015).
14) S. Lee, and G. Chen, Nanostructured thermoelectric materials, in
Innovative Thermoelectric Materials edited by H. Katz and T. Poehler, Imperial
College Press, in press.
13) S. Lee, K. Esfarjani, T. Luo, J. Zhou, Z.T. Tian, and G. Chen,
Resonant bonding leads to low lattice thermal conductivity. Nature Communications, 5:3525 (2014).
at MIT news:
12) S. Lee, K. Esfarjani, J. Mendoza, M.S. Dresselhaus, and G. Chen,
Lattice thermal conductivity of Bi, Sb, and Bi-Sb alloy from first principles. Physical Review B, 89(8), 085206 (2014).
11) B. Liao, S. Lee, K. Esfarjani, and G. Chen, First-principles study of
thermal transport in FeSb2. Physical
Review B, 89(3), 035108 (2014).
10) Z.T. Tian, S. Lee, and G. Chen, A Comprehensive Review of Heat Transfer in
Thermoelectric Materials and Devices, Annual
Review of Heat Transfer, 17 (2014)
9) W. Liu, K.C. Lukas, K. McEnaney, S. Lee, Q. Zhang, C.P. Opeil, G. Chen, and
Z.F. Ren, Studies on the Bi2Te3-Bi2Se3-Bi2S3
system for mid-temperature thermoelectric energy conversion. Energy and Environmental Science, 6(2), 552-560 (2013)
8) Z.T. Tian, S.Lee, and G. Chen,
Heat transfer in thermoelectric materials and devices. Journal of Heat Transfer, 135(6),
7) Q. Zhang, H. Wang, W. Liu, H.
Wang, B. Yu, Q. Zhang, Z.T. Tian, G. Ni, S.
Lee, K. Esfarjani, G. Chen, and Z.F. Ren, Enhancement of thermoelectric
figure-of-merit by resonant states of aluminium doping in lead selenide. Energy and Environmental Science, 5(1), 5246-5251 (2012)
6) X. Yan, G. Joshi, W. Liu, Y. Lan,
H. Wang, S. Lee, J.W. Simonson, S.J.
Poon, T.M. Tritt, G. Chen, and Z.F. Ren, Enhanced thermoelectric figure of
merit of p-type half-heuslers. Nano
Letters, 11(2), 556-560 (2010)
5) S. Lee, H.J. Kim, J.H. Jang, E.A. Cho and T.H. Lim, “Performance
degradation and microstructure changes in freeze–thaw cycling for PEMFC MEAs
with various initial microstructures”, International
Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 35(23),
4) S. Lee, I.G. Min, H.J. Kim, S.W. Nam, J. Lee, et al., “Development of a 600 W Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell
Power System for the Hazardous Mission Robot”, Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, 7(3) (2010)
3) S. Lee, S.U. Kim, H.J. Kim, J.H. Jang, I.H. Oh, et al., “Water removal characteristics
of proton exchange membrane fuel cells using a dry gas purging method”, Journal of Power Sources, 180, 784-790 (2008)
2) S. Lee, H.J. Kim, K.H. Kim, E.A. Cho, I.H. Oh, et al., “Gradient catalyst coating for a PEM fuel cell operation
under non-humidified condition”, Electrochemical
and Solid-state Letters, 10(10),
1) S. Lee, E.A. Cho, J.H. Lee, H.J. Kim, T.H. Lim, et al., “Effects of purging on the
degradation of PEMFCs operating with repetitive on/off cycles”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 154(2), B194-B200 (2007)