Postdoc Associate, MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA, 2014-2017
PhD in Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University (2014)M.Phil. in Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University (2013)M.S. in Civil Engineering, Columbia University (2011)B.S.E. in Civil Engineering, Hohai University, Nanjing, China (2010)
My research focuses on the advancement of scientific knowledge and the development of innovative
sensing and data analytics to tackle built environment issues, specifically to address the resilience,
sustainability and safety issues of civil structural systems. The overall aim of this integrated interdisciplinary
paradigm is to develop intelligent infrastructure systems and buildings, enhance the resilience
and sustainability of our living communities, and make our built environment safer under “normal”
operating conditions, intermediate stress conditions, and natural, manmade and technological hazard
events. My research interests include the following interconnected thrusts:
Published and Accepted Papers (* corresponding author)
[J20]H. Sun*, O. Buyukozturk. The MIT Green Building benchmark problem for structural health monitoring of tall buildings. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2017, article in press. DOI: 10.1002/stc.2115
[J19] A. Mordret*, H. Sun, G. A. Prieto, N. Toksoz, O. Buyukozturk. Continuous monitoring of high-rise buildings using seismic interferometry. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 2017, article in press. DOI: 10.1785/0120160282 [J18]
H. Sun, A. Mordret, G. A. Prieto, N. Toksoz and O. Buyukozturk*. Bayesian characterization of buildings using seismic interferometry on ambient vibrations. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2017, 85: 468-486.Publication featured in Media:
MIT News Office Release, MIT EAPS News, ScienceDaily, Fox News, ASCE Civil Engineering Magazine, ScienceNewsline Technology, Yahoo News, Popular Mechanics, Oxford Virtual, India Today, Durability + Design, I4U News, Business Standard, Tech Briefs,
Press Trust of India News, The Economic Times Science, Construction Dive, Media News Trends, India TV News, Universities News, Wireless Design & Development, Snaxzer, Gizmodo, R&D, Tech Facts Live, Saw Dust, among others.[J17] G. Yan, H. Sun*
and O. Buyukozturk. Impact load identification for composite structures using Bayesian regularization and unscented Kalman filter. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2016, in press, DOI: 10.1002/stc.1910.[J16] H. Sun and O. Buyukozturk*.
Probabilistic updating of building models using incomplete modal data. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2016, 75(0): 27-40.[J15] H. Zhang, Y. Liu*, H. Sun and S. Wu. Transient dynamic behavior of polypropylene fiber reinforced mortar
under compressive impact loading. Construction and Building Materials 2016, 111(0): 30-42.[J14] H. Sun*, H. Waisman and R. Betti. A sweeping window method for detection of flaws using an explicit dynamic XFEM and absorbing boundary layers. International
Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 2016, 105(13): 1014–1040.[J13] H. Sun and O. Buyukozturk*. Optimal sensor placement in structural health monitoring using Discrete optimization. Smart Materials and Structures 2015, 24(12): 125034.3/9[J12]
H. Sun*, D. Feng, Y. Liu and M. Q. Feng. Statistical regularization for identification of structural parameters and external loadings using state space models. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2015, 30(11): 843-858.[J11] H.
Sun and O. Buyukozturk*. Identification of traffic-induced nodal excitations of truss bridges through heterogeneous data fusion. Smart Materials and Structures 2015, 24(7): 075032.[J10] H. Sun* and R. Betti. A hybrid optimization algorithm with
Bayesian inference for probabilistic model updating. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2015, 30(8): 602-619.[J9] D. Feng*, H. Sun and M. Q. Feng. Simultaneous identification of bridge structural parameters and vehicle loads.
Computers & Structures 2015, 157(0): 76-88.[J8] G. Yan, H. Sun and H. Waisman*. A guided Bayesian inference approach for detection of multiple flaws in structures using the extended finite element method. Computers & Structures 2015, 152(0):
27-44.[J7] H. Sun, H. Waisman* and R. Betti. A multiscale flaw detection algorithm based on XFEM. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 2014, 100(7): 477-503.[J6] H. Sun* and R. Betti. Simultaneous identification of
structural parameters and dynamic input with incomplete output-only measurements. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2014, 21(6): 868-889.[J5] H. Sun, H. Waisman* and R. Betti. Nondestructive identification of multiple flaws using XFEM
and a topologically adapting artificial bee colony algorithm. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 2013, 95(10): 871-900.[J4] H. Sun, H. Luş and R. Betti*. Identification of structural models using a modified artificial
bee colony algorithm. Computers & Structures 2013, 116(0): 59-74.[J3] H. Zhang, H. Sun*, L. Liu and M. Dong. Resonance mechanism of wind-induced isolated aqueduct-water coupling system. Engineering Structures 2013, 57(0): 73-86.[J2] H. Zhang,
L. Liu, M. Dong and H. Sun*. Analysis of wind-induced vibration of fluid-structure interaction system for isolated aqueduct bridge. Engineering Structures 2013, 46(0): 28-37.[J1] H. Zhang*, Y. Gao, F. Li, F. Lu and H. Sun. Experimental study
on dynamic properties and constitutive model of polypropylene fiber concrete under high strain rates. European Journal of Environmental and Civil Engineering 2013, 17(1): s294-s303.
8. Gang Yan*, H. Sun. Impact force identification for composite structures using a non-negative Bayesian regularization algorithm. The 21st International Conference on Composite Materials, X-i’an, China, August 20-25, 2017.
7. Gang Yan*, Z. Yang, Y.-W. Mai, H. Sun. Damage detection for composites using a Bayesian regularization-based electrical impedance tomography technique. The 21st International Conference on Composite Materials, Xi’an, China, August 20-25, 2017.
6. Gang Yan*, H. Sun, O. Buyukozturk. A novel approach of impact load identification for composite structures. 8th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Bilbao, Spain, July 5-8, 2016.
5. H. Sun*, O. Buyukozturk. Bayesian updating of building models using incomplete modal data without mode matching. Proceedings of SPIE 9805, Health Monitoring of Structural and Biological Systems 2016, 98050D. [SPIE Smart Structures/NDE, Las Vegas, Nevada,
USA, March 21-24, 2016.]
4. H. Sun*, O. Buyukozturk. Heterogeneous data fusion for traffic-induced excitation identification of truss bridges. The 9th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA, September 1-3, 2015.
3. H. Sun*, H. Waisman, R. Betti. A two-scale algorithm for detection of multiple flaws in structures modeled with XFEM. Proceedings of SPIE 9063, Nondestructive Characterization for Composite Materials, Aerospace Engineering, Civil Infrastructure, and
Homeland Security 2014, 906322. [SPIE Smart Structures/NDE, San Diego, CA, USA, March 9-13.]
2. H. Sun*, H. Waisman, R. Betti. Multiple flaws detection in structures using XFEM and topologically adapting enhanced ABC algorithm. Safety, Reliability, Risk and Life-Cycle Performance of Structures and Infrastructures 2013, 4691-4698.
1. H. Sun*, R. Betti. Output-only identification of structural parameters and dynamic input time histories. Safety, Reliability, Risk and Life-Cycle Performance of Structures and Infrastructures 2013, 4683-4690.
3. Camera-based Non-contact Seismology: Visual Interferometry, in review (MIT Case # 19233J). (with D. Smit, O. Buyukozturk, W. T. Freeman, J. G. Chen)
2. Anode Flow Channel of PEM Fuel Cell with Parallel Lines and Convergent Arcs, ZL200820185439.6, CN201274303. (with L. Chen, B. Lou)
1. Robot for High-tension Cable Deicing, ZL200810124321.7, CN101309001. (with B. Lou, C. Zhou, L. Chen, etc.)