The Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials
Science take pride in its current and relevant courses, well qualified faculty
and staff, and state-of-the art laboratories. The MEMS programs provide the
solid fundamentals, critical thinking, and inventive spark that fire up our
graduates as they design the future. Events and programs such as the SAE
formula car race, Co-Op and Design Expo supplement the curriculum and provide
students with hands-on, real-world experience. These resources fuel graduates
with the knowledge they need to succeed. The department also has a long history
of industrial partnerships in the rich technological environment of Pittsburgh
and the surrounding regions.
The mission of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science is to:
1. Provide high quality education in mechanical engineering for both undergraduate and graduate students
2. Carry out high quality research and disseminate the results through both scholarly publications and the development of technology
3. Increase the program's national and international reputation
4. Enhance our community through civic responsibility and the promotion of economic development
5. Provide technical expertise and training to industry on advanced technologies.
The vision of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science is to be an innovative leader in providing undergraduate and graduate education, conducting high quality research, and serving industry and government agencies in western Pennsylvania, the Commonwealth, and beyond.